Find out the answers to your Transcript questions!

Frequently asked questions about Transcripts.

Transcripts are a college or university’s records of what classes you took (and when), what your major was, the type of degree you earned, your grade point average (GPA), and what honors you received. You may need a copy of your transcript if you’re applying for (1) Admission into another college or university, whether online or campus, (2) A scholarship or grant, or (3) An internship or job.

You can contact the Registrar’s Office, which is responsible for keeping transcripts and student records, or the equivalent at your school.

Most schools will require an official written request from you, as well as a handwritten signature, social security number and other personal information to verify that the official transcripts won’t fall into the wrong hands. The record is sealed in an envelope and stamped with ink before mailing to verify that it hasn’t been altered.

Some colleges and universities charge a processing fee for transcript requests, which typically ranges from $3.00 – $10.00 U.S.D. Schools may also charge for shipping.

If your college or school no longer exists, contact your state Board of Education to obtain information about where your records are being housed.

Outstanding balances owed to your college or school could cause delays in processing your transcript. In this scenario, schools will withhold official academic transcripts from you.


Helping all students find their best path to higher education in South Carolina.

Stay Connected with Us:

Quick Links GetSmartSC